All Tune and Lube of Colonial Heights serves all of Chester and Chesterfield, Virginia.
We all want to keep our vehicles running better and longer. Your transmission needs care and maintenance just like your engine.
TEN WAYS TO PROLONG THE LIFE OF YOUR TRANSMISSION
- Check transmission fluid regularly and properly.
- Check transmission fluid after running while it’s hot in the engine. Stop and go traffic, hilly terrain, hot weather, or towing can build up excess transmission heat causing fluid to be lost, damaged, or both.
- Install an external cooler in high stress conditions. Towing a trailer, hauling heavy loads, or being stuck in traffic often creates excessive transmission heat. An external transmission cooler will help to bring the temperature down to normal operating level adding significantly to the life of the transmission.
- Change transmission fluid more often in high stress conditions. Transmission fluid cools, cleans, and lubricates the internal transmission parts while providing the hydraulic pressure to make all of the components work together. When the fluid loses its ability to perform those tasks efficiently trouble can’t be far away.
- Check any malfunctions promptly. Repair bills tend to rise in proportion to mileage driven after the first signs of trouble. The longer you drive with a malfunctioning transmission, the more damage you may cause, and the more money it may cost you.
- Have the transmission linkage and other adjustments checked periodically.
- Keep your engine properly tuned. A poor running engine can, at times, display symptoms similar to a transmission problem.
- Have other drive train components that may affect transmission function checked regularly.
- Have your vehicle’s cooling system checked twice a year for leaks, proper coolant level and strength. Antifreeze can deteriorate over time causing it to become ineffective creating overheating or freeze-up conditions. Additionally, most vehicles use the engine cooling system to also cool the transmission fluid.
- Take your vehicle for a complete physical check up at least once a year. This should include all safety components such as lights, brakes and steering. Remember that a poor running engine or certain transmission problems can be a safety hazard. Technicians at All Tune are trained to look for abnormal wear conditions at every visit.
Contact Us today for a tune up!